Learn how to care for and get the most enjoyment from your aquatic pets.
Looking After Tropical Fish is the essential guide to setting up, maintaining and getting the most out of your tropical aquarium, providing a complete resource for both beginner and enthusiast.
This book explores
- Finding the best spot for your aquarium so it can be enjoyed by all the right size tank
- filter types, filter media, sponges and ceramic rings
- biological filters
- what size filter do you need?
- what size heater?
- how much light? What type of light?
- What plants can you get?
- What substrate/gravel is best for planted tanks?
- setting up your tank from start to finish
- what fish are good to start with
- what to feed your fish, how to feed them
- how to plant live plants
- maintaining plants
- how to clean filters
- how to prepare a tank for fish with the nitrogen cycle
- testing water for toxins
- diagnosing common symptoms in fish
- common problems
Techniques are illustrated step-by-step using full colour photography with tips and tricks along with some basic science behind the processes that turn a lifeless box of water into a stunning, thriving eco-system.
So whether you have just bought your first aquarium or have been running one for a while, this book will provide you with a firm grasp of the underpinning foundations and equip you with the skills needed to run and maintain your aquarium like a pro.
It is our hope that fish keeping will bring you as much fun and enjoyment as it has brought us over the years.